Tuscarawas campus sweeps county awards ceremony

Rachel Walker

Kent State Tuscarawas won seven awards at this year’s Times-Reporter’s Best of the Best Awards Gala.

The Best of the Best Awards Gala, an annual event hosted by the Times-Reporter paper of New Philadelphia, collected over 100,000 votes from members of the community.

These members voted for 12 categories including favorite businesses to best entertainment in the area. The top three finalists for each category were recognized.

Tuscarawas took home first in colleges and universities under the “Kids and Education” section. They faced off against Ohio State University, Walsh University, Malone University and the University of Mount Union.

The Tuscarawas Performing Arts Center (PAC) won a handful of awards in the “Entertainment” category.

·         First in Event Venue

·         First in Concert Venue

·         Second in Wedding Venue

·         Honorable mention, Family Entertainment

Tuscarawas took home stand out plaques, otherwise known as “highest award” achievements, in Entertainment and Kids and Education.

“Thanks to the community’s input and support of past, current and future endeavors, the campus is extraordinarily successful,” Dean Brad Bielski said. “I look forward to continuing to serve the needs of our students, future students and our community.” 

Tuscarawas hired David Mitchell as the general manager for the PAC in 2015. Mitchell runs the behind the scenes of the office that received four awards from the Best of the Best.

“The arts is one of most meaningful and emotional experiences in our world today,” Mitchell said. “My goal is to continue community outreach, provide accessible and affordable programming, as well as develop lasting partnerships within the community.”

Rachel Walker is the Regional Campuses reporter. Contact her at [email protected].