Despite tough showing, women’s basketball drops two weekend matchups

Kent State freshman point guard Erin Thames calls a play during the Flashes’ 58-35 loss to Miami (OH) at Millett Hall in Oxford, Ohio, on March 3, 2018.

Gina Butkovich

The Kent State women’s basketball team (0-2) fell to No. 17 North Carolina State (2-0), 78-61, on Sunday.

The day before, the Flashes suffered a season-opening loss against North Carolina (2-0).

“Other than the first four minutes and last three (minutes), I think we outplayed them,” coach Todd Starkey said about the season opener. “We did a great job of executing the game plan defensively, and other than the free throws down the stretch, we did a great job of making them take tough shots.”

Kent State had a rough first quarter, trailing by as many as 15 points. The Flashes battled back, though, and even held a two-point lead at the final media timeout.

However, the last five minutes proved detrimental for Kent State, as it was outscored, 23-8.

The Flashes started Sunday off on Sunday by winning the opening tip.

North Carolina State started the scoring, but junior guard Megan Carter put the Flashes on the board at the 5:31 mark in the first quarter with a long three-pointer that made the score 5-3.

Kent State played a scrappy game, recording five offensive rebounds by the first media timeout.

By the end of the first quarter, the Flashes trailed, 20-7, and Carter had all seven points.

The second quarter saw the Flashes score 13 points, but still trailed, 39-20 at the half.

Kent State started the third quarter with the ball. At the four-minute mark, Carter drained an elbow pull-up, moving the score to 42-24.

Freshman forward Lindsey Thall followed it up with a bucket from long range cut the deficit to 42-27.

The Flashes were not able to completely make up the deficit in the fourth quarter, and the game ended, 78-61.

Carter led the Flashes with 22 points, while freshman guard Asiah Dingle followed close behind with 13 points.

“Our freshmen are fitting in really well with everyone,” Starkey said. “They fit right in with our competitiveness.”

The team is hoping to recover from these two opening losses and continue to work toward a MAC championship.

“We hope to continue to improve throughout the season, so when we are in February and March, we play our best game,” Starkey said.

The Flashes return home on Saturday for their home-opener against Northern Kentucky, with tip-off set for 5 p.m.

Gina Butkovich is a sports reporter. Contact her at [email protected].