Portage County: voices of voters OLD DONT USE

Kent State Students line up at the polls on November 6, 2018 for the midterm elections at the Kent State Wellness Center.

Madison Brattoli

The Kent State community found their ways to their designated voting locations today in order to make their voice heard in the 2018 midterm elections.

Midterm elections take place every 4 years, at the midpoint of the elected president’s 4- year term.

“Change needs to happen,” said Emily Glatt, junior public relations student. “The only way we can get change to happen is to vote.”

With the current political climate, new stakes are raised.

The current midterm elections could shape the nation after last year’s presidential election went unexpectedly in Donald Trump’s favor.

“Throughout the [2016] campaign, Trump seemed to have a polling ceiling of about 44% and he consistently had the highest unfavorability rating of any major party nominee in history,” according to an article written by Anthony Gaughan.

After the midterm elections, if either the house or Congress flips, more investigations into Trump’s administration will be conducted.

This idea is encouraging democratic individuals to go out and vote to make change.

Historically, younger individuals have been known to vote less than the older generation.

According to Newsweek, “Just 49% of eligible [millennials and generation X] voters voted in 2016, compared with 69% of eligible baby boomers.”

“It’s a lot of information that not many people teach us,” said Michaela Stuckey senior psychology student.

“Not many people teach us from a neutral setting, where we can understand both parties. A lot of [millenials] are discouraged to vote since it seems so overwhelming.”

Although, for the 2018 midterm elections this can change. “Harvard Kennedy School’s Institute of Politics’ biannual survey of 18- to 29-year-olds suggests that this age group is more likely to vote in the 2018 midterm elections than in 2014 or 2010.”

“Many people believe that it’s one vote what can it matter? But, that can literally change the outcome of an election,” said Kate Scaduto, junior health communication student.

“The younger generation has so many opinions, we need to voice them.”

“It’s important to vote because you don’t want random people to represent you,” said Michael Kelly junior advertising student. “You want these candidates to represent you and make good decisions.

Caris Kuhn, a senior political science student and a worker for the Ohio Democratic party, was passing out ballots in front of Kent State’s recreation center.

These ballots had a list of all of the Democratic candidates running for office.

“It’s helpful for people going in,” said Kuhn. “I understand that it’s flustering when you first go in. Especially if it’s your first time voting, these help you make sure the process goes smoothly. It’s by no means telling individuals they need to vote for these candidates, it’s just helping inform individuals.”

“Too many people have fought so hard and/or lost their lives too hard for us to blow [voting] off,” said Glatt.

Contact Madison Brattoli at [email protected]