Applications open for intern abroad programs through City Internships

Danielle Day

Applications are now available for 2018-19 study and intern abroad programs through the company City Internships.

City Internships is a program based in Los Angeles that connects participants with a host company in their chosen industry and chosen city. The program includes career seminars, networking events, career readiness workshops and social events, said Josh Edgley-Smith, the head of Student Experience and the New York Program director for City Internships.

“From my experience with participants in the program, (by) having an eight week internship on your resume, you are in a much greater position than your peers, are hired three times faster and are generally seen as better candidate for future jobs,” Edgley-Smith said. “It is a good way to make social and business connections.”

City Internships offers winter, spring and summer programs in nine locations: London, Paris, New York, Washington, D.C., Miami, Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston and San Francisco.

“Any current university student or recent graduates can participate,” Edgley-Smith said. “Anyone looking for a career change are (also) welcome.”

Participants may choose placement in one of nine career fields/industries: banking and financial services; consulting and professional services; law and politics; technology and engineering; marketing, advertising and PR; media, entertainment and journalism; art, fashion and design; start-ups and entrepreneurship; charities, NFPs and NGOs.

The company offers three specific kinds of programs to participate in: the Vanguard Program, the Global Accelerator Program and the Global Explorer Program.

The Vanguard Program is a semester-long program in any one of the nine locations or nine industries offered in fall, winter or spring only.

The Global Accelerator Program is an eight to 12 week internship offered in any one of the nine locations or nine industries during any season. This program has a fee of $6,250.

The Global Explorer Program, the company’s flagship program, is an eight-week internship in any one of the nine locations or nine industries offered in the summer only. This program has a fee of $5,950.

“The fees cover the support before the program, connecting a candidate with a company and (all events) during the program,” Edgley-Smith said.

Financial aid is offered this year as well. The company uses a student aid calculator to evaluate the amount one may need. Students can be granted up to $3,000.

“(The programs) have been established from feedback from alumni, seeing for ourselves what works and what doesn’t work,” Smith said. “Looking at what has had the best feedback, what we feel has given the best value to our candidates and settling on an arrangement of experiences that we feel really work well for people joining the program.”

All programs are variations of ones that already exist. The eight-week summer program has existed since the beginning of the company and has been improved upon by the addition of new cities and industries.

“We are confident that this is the best program we can offer,” Edgley-Smith said.

The application is located at https://www.city-internships.com/apply/

Danielle Day is a general assignment reporter. Contact her at [email protected].