How to do Homecoming, regionally

A student taste testing a cup of chili at Kent Tuscarwas’ chili cookoff to celebrate Kent’s 100 years of Homecoming. 

Rachel Walker

“For every one of the regional students, their regional campus is Kent State University,” said Larry Froehlich, the assistant to VP for Kent System Integration. “That is their university. That is their Kent State experience.”

Kent State Tuscarawas and Kent State Geauga celebrated the 100th year anniversary of Homecoming with a week full of activities.

Kent State Tuscarawas:

The Tuscarawas campus was filled with friendly contests to show off their spirit this week in honor of 100 years of Homecoming.

On Monday, the popular Kent State food truck’s sister, Fork in the RoadBLUE, went to the Tuscarawas campus. The Fork in the Road is making its way to the regional campuses in a big campaign this semester.

On Tuesday, faculty, staff and students got to see who has the best pot of chili in the name of an organization. The Criminology and Justice Studies club took first place. The second place winner gave his cash prize to the Institute of Electrical/Electronics Engineers and Society of Manufacturing Engineers. The Nursing Students of Tuscarawas Acting Together took third.

There was a Spirit Week video challenge hosted by the Academic Learning Commons and students recorded themselves sharing their favorite things about Kent State Tuscarawas. Students stopped by the ALC on Wednesday to film themselves in the “Video2Go” studio.

In one of the spirit week videos on ALC’s Facebook, staffer Andrew Wilsterman highlighted his community service initiatives while thanking the campus for all it has done for him.

“I am a lot of things, and it’s all because of Kent State Tuscarawas,” Wilsterman said.

“It is all an immense blessing in my life,” Wilsterman said. “Kent Tusc has given me the knowledge and life experience to go throughout my life with a heart for service.”

These videos feature students holding up enlarged photos of their baby faces, as seen on their Facebook. Five winners will be announced and each receive $20 on their FlashCard. Students were able to record their videos and enjoy doughnuts from Dough Co. Doughnuts, a local favorite.

Free cotton candy was passed out Thursday at the Performing Arts Center and students will have a chance to win tickets to see the Vindys perform on Saturday night in the PAC. There was also a blue and gold party with free food from Park Street Pizza on Thursday night. The Homecoming king and queen will be announced and the Golden Eagles Athletics will be recognized at a bonfire.

Kent State Geauga

Kent State Geauga campuses held a spirit week full of themed dress days. Both Geauga locations, Burton and Twinsburg, held a party Thursday celebrating 100 years of Homecoming. At Twinsburg, Enrollment and Student Services held an office decorating contest where they detailed the decades of Homecoming on their office doors.

Rachel Walker is the regional campuses reporter. Contact her at [email protected].