Kent State offers services for mental health


A table of pamphlets in the psychological services office explaining the different services provided on campus with contact information and more. 

Madeline Pigott

Kent State’s Psychological Services provides assistance to students who are looking for help in regards to mental health.

Psychological Services is located in the Deweese Health Center on the second floor.

Psychological Services offers confidential mental health services in crisis intervention, medication referrals, psychological testing and substance abuse evaluation, treatment, and individual or couples and group therapy.

Psychological Services is comprised of licensed psychologists, counselors and psychology graduate students who are under supervision.

Pamela Farer-Singleton, the chief psychologist of Psychological Services, has been in the department since 1994. She specializes in anxiety, depression, relationship concerns, parenting, diversity/multicultural issues and academic performance issues.

She says “90 percent of the patients are self-referred,” meaning the majority of people who go to psychological services go because they know they need or want help.

Anxiety and depression are the most common mental health issues people struggle with and come forward about.

Farer-Singleton says “some of the students who haven’t gotten help, or waited to get help could have benefited early on.” She stresses how important it is to not wait when considering asking for help and to take advantage of the diverse services the university offers to students.

Upon request, students can attend workshops or seminars focusing on a variety of topics, such as difficulty adjusting to college, academic issues, relationship issues, depression, anxiety, body image concerns, eating disorders, sexuality, self-injurious behaviors and substance related issues.

Holly Bandy is the outreach program officer who coordinates the workshops and seminars.

If you are someone who has suffered in the past from substance abuse and are currently going through recovery, there are services provided to help you stay on track as well.

The Collegiate Recovery Community (CRC) is a group of undergraduate and graduate students who meet to support one another and stay on track to recovery.

The meetings are confidential and take place in the lower level conference room A of the Deweese Health Center. The meetings are every Thursday at 6:30 p.m., and fellowship takes place beforehand at 6 p.m. It is open to all students who are going through recovery from substance abuse or are exploring recovery as an option for them.

For more information, contact Ashley Holt at [email protected] or call at (330) 672-2487.

On the psychology services webpage, there is an option to take an anonymous screening. The screening will walk those who are interested through a series of questions to help them determine if their recent habits, thoughts or behaviors may be related to a common mental health issue. Remember this screening is not a diagnosis, but merely an educational tool to assist those utilizing it.

If you are currently seeking help, you can make an appointment by calling the Psychological Services office at (330) 672-2487 during regular business hours. Crisis intervention services are also available during business hours. You may also contact the following 24-hour resources:

UHS Nurse Line – (330) 672-2326

Townhall II Helpline – (330) 678-4357

National Suicide Prevention Line – 800-273-TALK

In cases of emergency, always call 911.

Madeline Pigott is the mental health and social services reporter. Contact her at [email protected].