Kaitlin Bennett to host September open-carry rally on campus

A banner used on Facebook to promote an open-carry rally hosted by Kaitlin Bennett, a Kent State alumna known for her graduation photo with an AR-10.

Henry Palattella

Kaitlin Bennett, whose Kent State graduation photo with an AR-10 slung across her back went viral, will return to campus in September as the host of an open-carry rally.

The protest was announced via a Facebook event hosted by Liberty Hangout, a political group espousing libertarian-leaning views. Bennett, whose original post was made in May, currently serves as the grassroots director of the organization. 

Bennett previously helped organize an open-carry rally in April that was intended to generate conversations around gun control issues. She was a senior biology major at the time.

According to Kent State policy, its “students, staff, faculty and visitors are prohibited from the possession, storage or use of a deadly weapon.” In general, campus visitors are allowed to open carry firearms outside buildings, but are not allowed to carry a concealed weapon on any university property, including inside university-owned vehicles.

Bennett was previously a member of Kent State’s branch of Turning Point USA and helped organize an event in association with Young Americans for Liberty, where one demonstrator wore a diaper inside a baby play fence in front of the M.A.C. Center to “protest safe spaces.”

According to the Facebook post, the event will be live-streamed by Liberty Hangout, and will feature Millie Weaver from InfoWars as one of the guests.

“The goal of the event is to create dialogue about campus carry, talk to students about why gun control doesn’t work, and bring gun owners and 2nd amendment supporters together,” the event page says.

Henry Palattella is the editor. Contact him at [email protected].