Board of Trustees meets to approve resolutions

The Board of Trustees meet at the Urban Conference Room on Wednesday, June 7, 2018.

Chris Ramos

The Board of Trustees met in the Urban Conference room to discuss the future of Kent State on Wednesday.

The Academic Excellence and Student Success Committee brought forth their propositions, while discussing the progress Kent State is making in regard to students. The school has seen an increase of freshman retention, as Provost Todd Diacon made it clear that Kent State is doing its part in producing renowned collegiate graduates. 

Approval for Consent Agenda:

Updated KSU Complete College Ohio Campus Completion Plan

Revision of University Policy 3342-6-12 Regarding Faculty Professional Improvement Leave

Revision of University Policy and Procedures 3342-6-13 Governing Modification of the Faculty Probationary Period

Establishment of University Policy 3342-6-21 Regarding Consensual Relationships and Other Relationship-Based Conflicts of Interest

Revision in Name of the Applied Conflict Management Major to the Peace and Conflict Studies Major within the Bachelor of Arts Degree

Tuition and Fees, Effective Fall 2018 (Graduate and Non-resident)

Fiscal Year 2019 University Budget

Establishment of Kent State University Research Corporation

Kent Gateway Plan Phase I Enabling Projects

The Innovation Hub and Dining Project

Replacement Windows for the Eastway Residential Center

the Stark Campus Main Hall Elevator Addition

Contract for Supply of Electricity Associated with Notice of Bankruptcy from Current Supplier FirstEnergy Solutions

Vendor Selection for Operation of the Alumni Phone Center and Related Services for the Division of Institutional Advancement

Vendor Selection for Medical Benefit Administrative Services for University Employees and Dependents

Revisions to Selected University Policies within Chapter Six (Personnel) of University Policy Register

Joint Resolution of Appreciation and Commitment, City of Kent and Kent State University

Annual Election of the President

Report of the Nominating and Governance Committee

Resolution of Appreciation Trustee Carly Evans

Resolution of Appreciation Trustee Larry Pollock

While the committee intends on raising its number of graduates, it’s seeing steps in the right direction.

Angela Spalsbury, the new dean of Kent State University at Geauga and the Regional Academic Center, spoke about her plans to bolster the staff at the regional campus and increase enrollment. The hiring of an admission counselor for recruitment helping with recruitment and engagement to high school students.

The vice president for Research and Sponsored Programs at Kent State, Paul Di Corleto presented the Summer Under Research Experience program, an eight-week intensive research class designed to give students a chance to engage with faculty on a personal level. During which, students develop critical-thinking skills and creativity. The program helps to increase retention of students and graduation rates and faculty research productivity.

Additionally, T. David Garcia, the senior associate vice president for enrollment management, spoke about an increased number of enrollment applications this past year. It grew from 15,582 to 16,227. He also said this past year, Kent State had its largest admissions in school history from 13,296 students to 13,762.

The Finance and Administration Committee brought forth their plans regarding the Fiscal Year 2019 University Budget. With a $644.6 million operating budget, the committee stated they expect a 300 to 800 student drop off next year which was taken into account. They discussed the plans to innovate the Student HUB, students dining experiences and a full rehabilitation of the School of Art building. The committee also sought approval for Phase One of the Kent Gateway Plan.

President Beverly Warren recognized Kent State being named one of the healthiest campuses in the country and the initiatives that took place to spark an interest in the university.

Following Warren’s presentation, the Board of Trustees committee voted on the proposed plans.

To conclude the meeting, a resolution of appreciation was approved for chairman of the board, Lawrence Pollock, who passed the gavel to the new chairman, Ralph Della Ratta.

Chris Ramos is a general assignment reporter. Contact him at [email protected].