Kent film students to get hands-on experience at Cleveland International Film Festival

The Cleveland International Film Fest takes place April 4 to April 15.

Jarett Theberge

Kent State’s film program will make a recruitment effort at the 42nd annual Cleveland International Film Festival and give students a chance to gain festival experience on Friday.  

In addition to the 72 countries that are participating in the CIFF, members of Kent State University Independent Films will be sponsoring three short films at the festival to get the word out about their organization.

Scott Hallgren, assistant professor in Digital Media Production, asked the university for the proper funds and figured out a way get students involved with the festival and market the program for potential incoming students.

“I think that going forward with the success of us participating and doing some marketing at the festival for the first time as a group and as a school activity that this is going to show everybody how important this ultimately is for recruiting and the future of the program,” Hallgren said.

KSUIF will be doning T-shirts with their name and will bring a banner to advertise at the festival.

Hallgren, currently a screener and juror for the CIFF, said that the notoriety and credibility of the festival is an ideal opportunity for DMP students to get experience in the professional world of film and filmmaking.

“Getting the college students to participate is exciting because they get to see what this environment is about and they get an idea of what you can expect if your film, your program, your doc or whatever it is that you make gets picked up at a festival.”

CIFF 42 goes on from April 4 — 15 at Tower City Cinemas in downtown Cleveland and will feature 241 films. Tickets for students and seniors are $14 and general admission are $16. 

Jarett Theberge is a visual arts reporter. Contact him at [email protected]