Unlimited laundry access will be provided to students in dorms

Natalie Eusebio

Kent State Residential Services announced via Twitter on April 17 that students will have unlimited access to laundry next fall.

It is not to say that laundry will be free, but rather, that the price students pay for housing will also cover their laundry expenses.

Tristan Auxter is a sophomore flight technology student who currently resides in Centennial Court F.

“I think it would help keep the rooms smelling more clean,” Auxter said.

George Edmiston is the associate director for Facilities and Resident Services at Kent State.

Edmiston said that the decision to allow unlimited laundry access came after reviewing a survey that was sent out to students about a year and-a-half ago.

“One thing students said in the survey was that they wanted to see laundry built into what they were already paying,” Edmiston said.

Edmiston said that the decision was to help support the students.

Nate Weaver is a sophomore biology student at Kent State. He has spent this school year in Centennial Court F.

“I think it will make it easier for students to do laundry at their own convenience, instead of trying to figure out the best time when the machines will be available,” Weaver said.

Edmiston said that the same machines that are in the dorms now will be used next year, but the credit card machines will be removed to make everything free.

“We know that money tends to be tight for college students,” Edmiston said. “So we were really just trying to do anything that would help.”

James Schliper, a sophomore aeronautics student, does not think the unlimited laundry services will be beneficial.

“People keep referring to it like it is free, but really you’re just paying for it up front,” Schliper said.

According to the University’s website, Kent State currently holds a contract with ASI Campus Laundry. Each wash cycle costs $2.75 and there is no additional cost for the drying machine.

Edmiston does not foresee any problems with students disrespecting the laundry equipment now that it will be offered at no additional cost.

“But if anything like that did happen we would just deal with it the way we handle problems today,” Edmiston said.

“We’re just trying to build good communities that foster students’ success,” Edmiston said.  

Natalie Eusebio is the commuter and apartments reporter. Contact her at [email protected]