Kent State students share tips for decorating on a budget

Margaret Fisher poses in the living area of her 345 Flats apartment.

Natalie Eusebio

While many students use college as a time to explore personal tastes and try new things, it can be hard to fully express yourself with minimal funding. 

Junior fashion merchandising major Margaret Fisher got creative when it came to making her apartment at 345 Flats on Depeyster Street her own.

Natalie Eusebio: Where did you find inspiration for your decorating?

Margaret Fisher: I like really quirky looking things. I find all of my pictures on Pinterest.

NE: Did you always enjoy interior decorating? Or was that something that started when you came to college?

MF: I always liked it. I’ve redone my room at home a few times. Like, I repainted it and everything. It’s interesting to see how when you get older, your taste changes. When I painted my room sophomore year of high school it was bright purple. I don’t know why my parents let me do that.

NE: Where did you find or buy a majority of your decorations?

MF: Target. Always target.

NE: Have you splurged on anything?

MF:  I’m really a budget shopper. My comforter and all that was like $30. I save my money for clothes and food.

NE: What have some of your best deals and finds been?

MF: My plant is my favorite thing in my room. And it’s still living! This picture of shoes from the Met I found at a garage sale. I think it ended up costing $3.

NE: What would you like to do with your space in the future?

MF: I’d like to minimize it a little more. I feel like when you walk in you have to look at a lot of things. I’d like to add a rug and make it cozier.

NE: How do you recommend getting started to a new apartment owner?

MF:  Start with the basics and work your way out. One of my roommates has a really bright comforter, so she had a hard time finding things to decorate with. Keep the major things more neutral and then decorate with lots of color.

Sophomore biology major Jordan Campanelli put a lot of thought into how she wanted her apartment at University Edge on Rhodes Road to look and feel.

NE: Where did you find inspiration for your decorating?

JC: Lots of Pinterest stuff. I see everything on Pinterest and try to recreate it as best as I can.

JC:  Yeah I’ve always liked it. I really like to see what other people do. I like when things go together really well. My room at home was never anything special. So yeah, I would say it started more when I got to college and had my own space.

JC: TJ Maxx, Walmart and Target! Some things were gifts, too.

NE: Have you splurged on anything?

JC: Pillows, yes. They are probably the most expensive thing. I love pillows, and they can really bring the room together.

JC: Those picture frames on the wall were only $2 a piece, I think they were from Walmart. The dresser was old and I just repainted it. It was my mom’s from when she was little, it had all her old baby stuff in it. It was an ugly blue color so I just repainted it!

NE: What are some trends that you are fond of?

JC:  I love white and gold. I feel like that was a big trend when I first came to college, but I still love it! I really enjoy accent pillows too.

NE: What are some things you have tried that didn’t work?

JC: There was a lot of DIY stuff I tried that I ended up hating. One time I tried to paint these flower pots with glitter, and it got all over everything. My books along with everything I owned was covered in glitter! I threw those away!

Natalie Eusebio is the commuter and apartments reporter. Contact her at [email protected].