Jonathon Merlo

Photo of Jonathan Merlo. 

Candidate for Director of Community Affairs

What is your platform?

“My platform is what it was last year which is making the students voice heard in the community and at the administrative level. We have done a lot of good things this past year, and we want to continue that. I want to continue that for this upcoming year doing the exact same thing. My platform also deals with bills that I’ve passed or helped pass. I was a part of including The Veterans Recognition Bill. There is a bill I introduced a while back, The Resolution to Request Outdoor Heaters at the Kent Campus Bus Stop and the Resolution to Encourage the Implementation of Sustainable Equipment at all Kent Campus Student Gymnasiums. So I’ve been everywhere that has to do with the community. I plan on continuing to use my voice if the students elect me, and keep on doing what I’m doing.”

Why should people vote for you?

“People should vote for me because I already do hold a position right now. People in the administration know who I am, therefore there wouldn’t be a transition period of not knowing exactly what is expected of me because I know exactly what’s expected of me. I don’t know exactly what students want but I have the in to start it quicker than if I were starting out like a new person who came in.”

What changes are you looking to enact?

“There’s a lot of different things that the university can do but they all take a lot of time. The one thing I’m working on right now with Senator Kevin Kline is implementing the indoor heaters and or monitors in the Kent State bus stop here at the Student Center. That’s a pretty big project but it’s something that can be done short term. Next thing is to figure out a way to get school spirit involved at football Saturday’s and basketball games. Seeing if we can get something downtown for students who are legal age to drink and who are not legal to come together and root at our games.