Flashathon fundraises with Zumbathon

Shelbie Goulding

The Flashathon team hosted a free Zumba class at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center Thursday to fundraise and bring awareness to their philanthropy in benefiting the kids of Akron Children’s Hospital.

“I like to think of it as a teaser for our big fundraising event,” said Carly Rusciolelli, the fundraising captain for Flashathon. “It’s a way to spread awareness in what we believe in and for the kids at Akron Children’s Hospital.”

KSU Flashathon is a student organization that holds a dance marathon every year benefiting Akron Children’s Hospital. The organization raise funds and awareness to provide support to kids battling illness in the hematology and oncology departments.

“The Rec Center puts on Zumbathon and markets the entire fundraising event,” said Nadine Kleman, a member of the Flashathon team. “It’s free to the recreational community and anyone who wants to join.” She said although the event is free, they suggest donations for the cause.

The two hour event is held once each semester. Certified student zumba instructors lead the dance fitness session and focus on the fun of the workout. Participants come in and out throughout the two hour time frame while dancing for a great cause.  

Participants dance and move non-stop, which is similar to their main fundraising event later in the semester.

The main event is their annual dance marathon that runs from 12 p.m. to 12 a.m. Participants will dance non-stop to fundraise for a good cause.

Flashathon is April 7, and the team hopes to reach their goal of $75,000 for the children of Akron Children’s Hospital.

Shelbie Goulding is the recreation reporter. Contact her at [email protected].