Center for Adult and Veteran Services organize first health fair

Health+fair

Health fair

Mariah Hicks

Many of Kent State’s veterans will be bringing their questions about health care and benefits to the Student Center on Wednesday.

The Center for Adult and Veteran Services, also known as the CAVS office, will be organizing a veterans health fair. The fair is intended to increase the knowledge of resources available to veterans. This is the first health fair the office has put together.

The fair will connect veterans with resources and professionals who can help them with their concerns.

“We want veterans to be able to ask questions related to health care, but also with that is a little bit of awareness,” said Scott Crawford, the program coordinator and veterans affairs (VA) certifying official.

Though the CAVS office doesn’t have direct access to look up health care information for veterans, they do have many resources they can connect veterans to.

“Sometimes veterans just aren’t sure where to go, and they can ask us questions, and we can point them in the right direction,” Crawford said.

Resources and health care professionals provided at the event will include Kent State of Wellness, the Office of Health Promotion, Psychological Services, Town Hall 2 addiction experts, Student Accessibility Services, a health representative from the Department of Veterans Affairs, a VA benefits specialist and more.

While the event will not provide specific health care services directly to veterans, it aims to answer questions and allow veterans to arrange getting further care by connecting them with facilities and resources provided on campus and in the community, Crawford said.

The health fair runs from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the second floor of the Student Center and is free to the public.

Veterans within Kent’s community and neighboring areas are encouraged to come with any questions they may have. The event also welcomes students, faculty, staff and other community members who have questions or concerns that they would like to discuss with professionals.

Mariah Hicks is the military and veterans reporter. Contact her at [email protected]