Undergraduate Student Government holds meet and greet with constituents

Addie Gall

Undergraduate Student Government (USG) candidates have started to work on their campaigns for the upcoming 2018 election.

Candidates met with their constituents at a meet and greet in the Rathskeller, where they were able to speak with constituents and other candidates on their hopes for the election.

Not only were candidates able to speak with their constituents, constituents could also raise concerns with possible and current USG members.

“I really just want to see someone who’s willing to do things that the students want and not just for themselves,” said Alena Shamel, a sophomore early childhood education major who attended the meet and greet.

Leah Popkin, a sophomore human development and family studies major and candidate for senator of the College of Education, Health and Human Services said candidates work to give students across campus a voice and help them enact changes they wish to see.

“I want my constituents to know that I’m here for them and I want them to have a bigger voice in what’s happening,” Popkin said.

For many candidates, like Steven Farhat, a sophomore integrated social studies major and candidate for senator of the College of Education, Health and Human Services, it’s their first time being a part of student government. He said he hopes it will encourage their constituents to support them.

Farhat said that as a political newcomer, he hopes to appeal to students more easily.

“I want to be transparent and open. I want to keep in touch with my constituents better,” Farhat said. “A lot of people don’t even know what USG is in my college so I think that’s something that needs to be changed.”

Olivia Mullen, a senior biology major and the chief of staff of USG said as candidates begin their campaigns, they not only focus on their own image but on how students view USG.

“People kind of have this stigma about USG and we’re hoping to break that by having outreach events and being transparent,” Mullen said.

Students can cast their votes online March 13 and 14 from 7 a.m. – 5. p.m.

Addie Gall the student politics reporter at [email protected]