Former Kent State emerita president gives $1 million scholarship endowment fund

Kent State University President Emerita Carol Cartwright, Ph.D., and her husband, G. Phillip Cartwright, Ph.D., accept an award at the Founders Gala held in November 2017 in the Kent Student Center Ballroom.

Lydia Taylor

Former Kent State University President Carol Cartwright and her husband, Phillip Cartwright, created an endowment fund of $1 million for scholarships. 

The Cartwright Family Fund For Opportunities in the Arts aims to give support to underrepresented populations who can’t afford art education. 

The Cartwrights haved pledged to give $10,000 per year.

“The Cartwrights have a deep commitment to create transformative opportunities for talented and capable students,” Kent State University President Beverly Warren wrote in the press release. “Their support directly contributes to preparing and empowering students from diverse backgrounds to become informed, passionate and well-rounded citizens through an engaging education in the arts.”

Cartwright served as Kent State’s first female president from 1991 to 2006, and then became president at Bowling Green State University from 2008 to 2011. 

Lydia Taylor is the editor-in-chief. Contact her at [email protected].