Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week begins with budget-friendly eating

Ciana Turner, a senior hospitality major, flips a piece of chicken during the “dining on a budget” event in Nixson Hall Tuesday Nov. 14, 2017.

Alex Tinline

As part of Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week, the College of Education, Health and Human Services put on their first-ever “Healthy Eating on a Budget” event Tuesday.

Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week is a nationally recognized event bringing attention to the 42 million Americans at risk of suffering from hunger.

“A lot of students are food insecure, and that means that they don’t necessarily have the money for every meal, every week of the year,” said Natalie Caine-Bish, an associate professor of health sciences. “So it is really important that we give them the skills and the opportunity to learn about food and find ways of eating healthy but then also doing it in a cost-effective manner.”

For the event, students were divided into groups and placed at each kitchenette with a list of recipes. Instructors like Monica Werkin, a senior nutrition major, who decided on the meal options, walked around for assistance.

“I’m surprised,” said Danielle Chuites, a junior psychology major. “At first I was honestly expecting a presentation. I didn’t really think I’d be cooking, but I’m actually happy to be cooking because I don’t really cook myself, but I would like to start. So I am really happy I came.”

The budget for all the food for the event was $100, which was about less than $4 a meal per person.

The menu, which incorporated each food group, included: lemon chicken, pumpkin pasta, roasted carrots and banana chocolate chip muffins.

“I think this is important for people to come to because it’s not really common knowledge what healthy alternatives are available. … People don’t have access to them or have time,” said Taylor Sims, a freshman pre-fashion design and merchandising major. “I will definitely continue to do something like this.”

EHHS was able to fund the event through a grant received from the Kent State of Wellness initiative this past year. This grant will also be funding their canning event taking place next week.

“We had a great turnout,” Caine-Bish said. “I think educating people with food is a great way to get people out, and they are going to be able to take this home to eat. So if we had anybody here that was food insecure, they have food tonight, which is pretty cool.“

Alex Tinline is the parking and transportation reporter. Contact her at [email protected].