Five fun facts on the upcoming Black Squirrel Festival

Speed sketcher Clarence Meriweather, 46, draws a caricature of digital science graduate student Bharathkumar Mudigonda at the Black Squirrel Festival Friday, Sept 9, 2016.

Alex Kamcyzc

For some, BlastOff is the most important event that takes place at the beginning of the semester.

It’s a chance for freshmen and sophomores to become a part of something bigger than themselves. For juniors and seniors, it’s a time to catch up with friends and get an idea of who the underclassmen who are going to take over once they graduate.

Another event on campus is Black Squirrel Festival, a true Kent State tradition. Here are five things you need to know about the event happening Friday, Sept. 8.

The Black Squirrel Festival is an old Kent State tradition.

Friday is the 36th year the event has been held. It began in the ’80s and continues to grow with the intent of bringing students and faculty together.

The festival helps better connect you with the community.

There will be over 200 local vendors and clubs at the event for more than 3,000 students and faculty to enjoy.

There will be thousands of free giveaway items, ranging from school supplies to food. Many venders will be handing out free items. It all depends on where you go and when you go there. On top of that, the first 2,000 students to show up to the event will get a free T-shirt.

Event-goers will be able to enjoy music and games.

Students will have the chance to play with inflatables while Black Squirrel Radio plays music. There’s also going to be a photo booth available for people to take memorable pictures.

Black Squirrel Festival is set for Sept. 8 from noon to 5 p.m. on Risman Plaza.

Alex Kamcyzc is a features correspondent, contact him at [email protected].