‘Survivor’: The freshman edition

Valerie Royzman

‘Tis the season for freshmen beginning their school experience all over again — this time, the college campus version.

It means kissing mom’s cooking goodbye and parting ways with beloved high school friends, only to trade it in to live with a possible stranger and a new normal to navigate. Most freshmen are probably feeling the pressure to reinvent their social lives, handing out phone numbers left and right, and breaking the dreaded curfew which no longer looms over their heads.

Kent State’s wide-eyed, bushy-tailed newcomers are experiencing a transitional time in their lives. Campus is buzzing with interactive events, like BlastOff and Real Late Reels. Clubs and organizations are scouting out new members. Students are learning the ins and outs of adulthood as they begin living on their own and feeling comfortable with roommates.

The freshmen class of 2021 had mixed feelings about their first week on campus. Here’s what some of them said:

Iyanna Cooper, a business management major

Best part of week one: “Going around campus and seeing everyone, and meeting new people.”

Worst part of week one: “The far walk between classes in a short amount of time.”

Describe it in three words: “Excited, anxious, overwhelmed.”

Lydia Sherman, a biology major

Best part of week one: “Getting to experience the college life for the first time, and also making new friends.”

Worst part of week one: “Waking up early and having to figure out where my classes were in relation to each other.”

Hardest part of the college experience: “Having to use a community bathroom is one of the worst things, and not having as much privacy.”

Describe it in three words: “Different, nerve-wracking and rushed.”

Lacey Charles, a fashion merchandising major

Best part of week one: “Probably going out with my friends to party.”

Worst part of week : “I got lost a couple of times.”

Describe it in three words: “Exciting, fun and nerve-wracking.”

Donald Kusky, a biology major

Best part of week one: “Well, that’s a very hard thing to talk about. I met like 15 new people this week, and I guess I got better at playing pool. And I had a movie night (in my dorm). Only like three people showed up, but still.”

Worst part of week one: “Flashcash — they kept denying it. I’m still waiting on pre-orders to come in.”

Also: “For the game, I’m gonna be all decked out. I’m going to wear a wig and paint my face and everything.”

Taminique Blackwell, a psychology major

Best part of week one: “Welcome weekend — I really liked BlastOff. Seeing all the clubs and meeting everybody.”

Worst part of week one: “Nothing so far.”

Describe it in three words: “Easy, fun and different.”

Also: “It was my first time going to Insomnia Cookies. We went at 2 (a.m.). It was good, but overpriced.”

Lucy Antalek, an integrated language arts major

Best part of week one: “Finding out that some change is acceptable, while some change you need to stand your ground against.”

Worst part of week one: “Dragging the past into the future.”

Describe it in three words: “Invigorating, satisfying and hopeful.”

Also: “It was my first day of public school. I nearly missed the bus on my first day. I ran up waving like a mad woman. It was terrifying, but I got on.”

Martin Collyer, an engineering technology major

Best part of week one: “The hypnotist (at Welcome Weekend). It was hilarious.”

Worst part of week one: “Probably it was my legs. [I] got cramps because I was biking and walking literally everywhere I went.”

Describe it in three words: “Stress, work and fun.”

Briana Turner, a psychology major

Best part of week one: “I guess just meeting all the people in my dorm. Just sitting and talking.”

Worst part of week one: “Knowing that not everyone knows where I come from. Nobody can relate.”

Describe it in three words: “Very confusing emotions.”

Also: “Overall, I like it here. I feel at home. The transition is just complicated.”

Ozee Freeman, a criminology major

Best part of week one: “Rosie’s chicken sandwiches. I had like eight or nine of them.”

Worst part of week one: “Finding my roommate’s diss letter.”

Describe it in three words: “What the hell.”

Also: “Dunbar has no A/C. I’m out all day. Sometimes I just want to come back and get under my blankets with some A/C. I can’t do that.”

Valerie Royzman is the copy desk chief. Contact her at [email protected].