Kent State to host internship, co-op, career fair

Kent State marketing graduate Nick Yopko (right) speaks to Kent State graduate and Geometry Global project coordinator Ryan Kekela (left) about job opportunities during the Spring Internship, Co-op and Career Fair held in the Kent State Field House on Thursday, Feb. 23, 2017. “I’m looking for something that uses my skills that I’ve gained from school for some stability,” said Yopko.

Angela Radesic

Over 135 local and non-local organizations will be on campus searching for potential students and alumni to hire for internships, jobs and co-ops this September.

Career Exploration and Development will host the Fall Internship, Co-op and Career Fair on September 21, 2017, from 12-4p.m. in the Student Recreation and Wellness Center.

This event is open to all majors, minors and class levels; including alumni and community members.

“Students should expect the fair to be busy; expect lines. Knowing how to work the fair and strategize and maximize your time is important,” Kristin Williams, Executive Director of Career Exploration and Development, said.

Students planning to attend do not need to register, but will be asked to sign in when they enter the fair. Companies present will be offering part-time, full-time and internship positions to students and alumni.

“Do some research, find out about the organizations and know what positions they are looking for before you go to the fair,” Williams said.

Williams suggested, in addition to multiple copies of their resume, students should bring with them something to write on and write with. Taking good notes and writing down contact information is important when networking and making connections.

“Everyone is welcome at the fair. We recommend that you come with some research and knowledge done. Don’t be intimidated by the thought of networking” Williams said.

Some of the organizations that will be in attendance range from non-local companies like Goodyear and Progressive, to local organizations such as Home and Professional Services and Family and Community Services within Portage County.

Williams also noted that students and alumni planning to attend and that are in need of business attire can check out the Career Closet offered at the Williamson House on campus for free access to business attire with their Flash Card.

The full list of organizations that will be attending the event can be found here or on “The Fairs App” in the App Store.

Any questions concerning the fair can be emailed to [email protected].

Angela Radesic is the Student Finance and Jobs reporter. Contact her at [email protected].