Men’s golf ties for third at Hootie Intercollegiate

Pilar Lewis Sports Reporter

The Kent State men’s golf team, which is ranked No. 50 nationally by Golfweek, tied for third with No. 9 Auburn University in the Hootie at Bulls Bay Intercollegiate.

Sixteen teams competed in the tournament at Bulls Bay Golf Course in South Carolina, which ended Tuesday. 

The Flashes beat Duke University and the University of South Carolina, which are two other teams ranked in the top 50 by Golfweek.

“We needed a good result,” coach Jon Mills said. “To finish third in a field [and] tie with Auburn and beat a bunch of teams that were ranked ahead of us was a nice position to be in.”

The team had an overall score of 15-under-par 849.

Three players finished in the top 15, two in the top 10.

Sophomore Cade Breitenstine finished third with a 9-under-par 207 and sophomore Chris Vandette finished seventh at 211.

“Seeing Cade play so well and Chris, who didn’t compete in the fall, show a lot of improvement and get his first collegiate top 10 was nice,” Mills said.

Senior Josh Gilkison finished 12th with a 2-under 214. 

“We got off to a good start and kept it going,” said Mills. “Everyone contributed, and I was really happy with the guys and how they played.”

Junior Jared Wilson finished 70th with a 9-above 225. Freshman Luca Civello, who competed as an individual, finished with a 17-above 233. 

It was the team’s fourth top 10 finish this spring. 

“The guys got that taste of a chance of victory,” Mills said. “They want it again, and, with three events left, we have room to move up.”

The Flashes will compete next at the Boilermaker Invitational in West Lafayette, Indiana on April 10-11.

Pilar Lewis is a sports reporter. Contact her at [email protected].