Keeping it cool: Residence halls welcome air conditioning

Colin Baker

The Lake and Olson residence halls now have air conditioning, new roofing and carpeting this semester, with similar renovations coming to Verder Hall a year from now.

“It’s been the most amazing addition that I have ever had to Olson,” said Stephen Francis, a sophomore visual communication design major and resident assistant at Olson Hall. “Because I lived in Olson the last year and we did not have any air conditioning or carpeting, which made it seem like a jail cell … I lived on the second floor last year but the fourth floor was even worse, it was like 100 degrees in my room.”

There had been complaints from residents that the buildings were too hot during early months of the fall semester. 

Jon Martin, a junior communication studies major, has lived in Olson Hall all four years at Kent State.

“I’ve also lived on the fourth floor, which was hell,” Martin said. 

He used three fans to cope with the heat that year.

Completed this past summer, Lake and Olson were one of the few residence halls on campus with no air conditioning. The renovations to the duplex, which cost over $8 million, included new carpeting and roofing.

The renovations left Verder and Dunbar the only student residence halls with no air conditioning.

“It gets very very hot, especially at night, and I wake up in hot sweats,” said Tegan Goodman, a freshman fashion merchandising major living in Verder Hall. 

Goodman said the heat due to lack of air conditioning has affected her study habits.

“One time I actually went to the library because it was so hot,” she said.

Goodman plans to reside in Verder Hall next year, and is excited for a cooler experience.

Joseph Graham, the associate director of architecture and engineering at Kent State, said the goal of the projects is to provide a more comfortable environment for our student residents.

Michael Bruder, the executive director of facilities, planning and design, said Verder Hall will receive air conditioning by the Fall 2018 semester. The projected cost of the installation is $6.5 million.

Colin Baker is the architecture and construction reporter. Contact him at [email protected].