Finance students to manage portion of KSU Foundation assets

Isabel Kiefer

Kent State recently created the university’s first Student Managed Investment Fund team, according to a press release.

The team will manage a portion of the KSU Foundation’s money and assets.

Steven Dennis, the Firestone chair of corporate finance, proposed the program, which will start in the fall. The program will consist of a team of students that will propose investments using the KSU Foundation’s assets. Dennis and an undetermined faculty member will oversee the program.

Open to finance majors and minors, Dennis said the new program will give students a unique opportunity to work outside of the classroom.

“If you’re going to be in money management, you need real-world experience,” Dennis said.

The KSU Foundation’s Board of Directors and the Department of Finance Advisory Board worked together closely to organize the program.

“It was sort of a strategic plan, something we achieved early, earlier than expected,” Dennis said.

Dennis first proposed the team in January. The KSU Foundation and Dennis began drafting the specifics of the program in March.

Some students on the team will receive credit for participating, though the program is considered an extracurricular. Dennis said these students will be considered senior officers.

Looking ahead to Spring 2019, Dennis plans to have the team compete in a portfolio competition at the Quinnipiac Global Asset Management Education VII Forum. Dennis said senior officers may attend the forum in Fall 2018 for added experience.

Though students are managing a portion of the university’s investable assets, Dennis said the team will bring more than investment proposals to the table.

“It’s a very important building block for the finance program,” Dennis said. “It finally came together after several years.”

Isabel Kiefer is the dining, housing, and DKS reporter. Contact her at [email protected].