Memorial tree dedication to be held one year after emeritus professor dies

Richard Madey poses with his grandson Eric Madey Foote, his daughter, Diane Madey Foote and his son-in-law Richard Merrill Foote.

Ray Padilla

In remembrance of her late father — emeritus University Professor Richard Madey, who died June 27, 2016 — Diane Madey Foote organized a memorial tree dedication outside of Smith Hall on Kent State’s campus.

The memorial will be held Wed., July 5, at 10 a.m. in honor of the first anniversary of his death.

“It’s a memorial tree program, and they accommodated us because we wanted it close to where he spent most of his time,” Foote said.

It’s great to have a program like this from the university, Foote said, and it helps the campus look and feel more welcoming.

Madey worked in the physics department as a chair and director for the Center of Nuclear Research at Kent State and received the honorary title of University Professor.

Madey left Kent State in 1992 to continue his research at the Thomas Jefferson Nuclear Accelerator lab in Newport News, Virginia.

For Fall 2017, Kent State developed the Dr. Richard Madey Physics Research Scholarship in his honor.

Ray Padilla is the academics reporter. Contact him at [email protected].