Kent State student dies in car crash

student car crash

A Kent State student and a passenger died in a car crash in Geauga County Wednesday afternoon.

According to a press release by the Ohio State Highway Patrol, student Myka Gray, 18, and her passenger, Kayleigh O’Brien, 19, were pronounced dead at University Hospitals Geauga Medical Center.

“She was the most loving girl in the world. Her smile was contagious, and she was always the life of the party,” said Heather Gray, Myka Gray’s sister, via Facebook Messenger.

The Ohio State Highway Patrol said the car containing Gray, the driver and O’Brien didn’t stop at a stop sign on U.S. Route 322. An SUV then collided with the driver’s side.

“She was the best aunt to her niece Emma and nephew Easton. The best sister and daughter. She devoted all of her time to the autistic children at CARES in Mentor, Ohio,” Heather Gray said.

Gray recently finished her first year at Kent State and studied special education.

“She loved kids and loved life,” Heather Gray said. “She loved working with the mentally challenged and autistic and donated so much of her time to be involved in their dances.”

O’Brien took classes at Lakeland Community College. Both graduated from Perry High School.

Two GoFundMe accounts were made for Gray and O’Brien for their memorials with the goal of $10,000.

Cameron Gorman is a reporter, contact her at [email protected].

Lydia Taylor is the editor-in-chief, contact her at [email protected].