LaunchNet Kent State prepares students for upcoming “Aw S.N.A.P.P.” event

Theatre performance student, Dara Sherman, takes notes at a workshop in the multicultural center on April 4, 2017. KSU SNAPP club’s workshop benefits Sherman for her minor in event planning and tourism management.

Olivia Williams

Students gathered Tuesday in the Student Multicultural Center (SMC) for a workshop with LaunchNet Kent State to prepare them for “Aw S.N.A.P.P. (Students Need A Program Pitch).”

The workshop gave students the opportunity to ask questions they had about the SMC and Student Support Services sponsored event. The event gave students tips and ideas of what a successful pitch looks like.

A team in the SMC collaborated with the Student Support Services staff to develop the “Aw S.N.A.P.P.” event to give students a chance to pitch their ideas for programs or activities they would like to see held by the SMC or Student Support Services.

Michael Daniels, program coordinator for the SMC, said the event is necessary because students come up with great ideas for programs and ways Kent State can better serve students.

“We want to make sure we do our part and listen,” Daniels said.

LaunchNet’s Tabitha Martin and Zachary Mikrut provided students with tips and tools on how to create a pitch and help their ideas come to life. Students received worksheets to help organize their ideas onto paper and had the opportunity to ask Martin and Mikrut questions after the workshop.

Braylon Lee, a senior applied communications major, proposed an idea that would give African-American students a chance to share stories about their lives to add to the presence of African-American culture on Kent State’s campus.

The “Aw S.N.A.P.P.” event takes place April 11, at 4 p.m. in the Center of Undergraduate Excellence’s Wifi Lounge. A total of $600 in prize money will be awarded for the winning ideas. The deadline to register and compete in the event is Thursday. 

Olivia Williams is African American student life reporter, contact her at [email protected].