0404_JMK_CHAARG5k_ST

Map for 0404_JMK_CHAARG5k_ST

Shane Transue

HED: Runners, dogs welcome for CHAARG 5k at Kent State

Kent State’s Changing Health, Attitudes, + Actions to Recreate Girls (CHAARG) program is hosting their inaugural 5k run Sunday, April 9, with all proceeds from the race benefiting One of a Kind Pet Rescue animal shelter in Akron.

The event, which will begin and end at Kent State’s MACC Annex is open to two- and four-legged friends, as those who register are welcome to bring their dogs. Tickets for the event are on sale now for $15 and can be bought the day of for $20, and can be purchased online or the day of the race outside the MACC. Registration for the event begins at 7 a.m. on Sunday morning with the race going from 9 to 11 a.m.

Anna Ferrato, president of Kent State’s CHAARG, a fitness program for girls on campus, is organizing the run. She and her team of volunteers are looking forward to raising money for dogs who are a part of the local shelter.

“The CHAARG team and I are all dog lovers and love going out for a run with our dogs,” Ferrato said. “We want that for every dog and we are passionate about helping all dogs that are in our local shelters find a loving home.”

“All the money made is going directly to One of a Kind Pet Rescue,” Ferrato continued. “Anyone that wants to come is encouraged to do whatever they would like. They can run, walk, or even just come and meet the dogs.”

One of a Kind Pet Rescue, a nonprofit organization funded only through donations will be using the proceeds to help local animals in the company’s shelter.

For more information about CHAARG and their events or the race itself you can view their featured page on the Kent website.