Kent Indian Association brings Holi festival to campus

McKenna Corson

Editor’s note: We previously published this story using what we thought was Ashwin’s full name. The story has been corrected to reflect his preferred name. 

The Kent Indian Association will throw a Holi celebration this Saturday to give students the opportunity to take part in the Indian holiday.

Holi, also known as the “Festival of Colors,” is a Hindu holiday commemorating the arrival of spring with color and festivities. Holi has been celebrated across India since ancient times.

Traditionally, powdered colors are mixed with water and thrown all around. People are given the opportunity to ignore social norms, have fun and celebrate spring, according to religionfacts.com/holi.

Ashwin, a marketing graduate student and president of KIA, is glad for the opportunity to share the beauty of Holi with others.

“To describe Holi in one word, it’s colorful,” Ashwin said. “It’s fun being outside playing in the sun.”

Ashwin said KIA’s Holi celebration will feature food, a DJ, games, color throwing and dance performances.

The celebration is free and open to everyone.

“It’s a mixture of international students and domestic students coming together and having fun,” Ashwin said.

Though not a requirement, attendees are encouraged to wear white to Holi.

“You won’t see the colors as well if you wear dark clothing,” Ashwin said. “Wearing white makes it more visually beautiful.”

KIA’s Holi will occur Saturday, April 8, on Manchester Field at 11:30 a.m.

Ashwin encourages everyone to come and experience a piece of Indian culture.

“It’s being with different people and coming into a different culture that you realize that this is beautiful,” Ashwin said.

McKenna Corson is a diversity reporter, contact her at [email protected].