College of Public Health hosts second-annual Diversity Symposium

Abigail Winternitz

The College of Public Health is gearing up to host its second annual Diversity Symposium that will recognize nearly 40 underrepresented minority women as public health role models.

The symposium, which is in partnership with the Division of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, the Office of the Provost and University College, will be held on Thursday, April 20 at the Kent State University Hotel and Conference Center from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Mark James, a professor and chair of the Department of Biostatistics, Environmental Health Sciences and Epidemiology, said the symposium is designed to address the fundamental need to identify appropriate role models and mentors for the College of Public Health’s underrepresented minority students.

Two keynote speakers will be featured: Kent State graduate student Shanice Cheatham, the founder and CEO of Endemic Solutions LLC, and Lt. Niketta Womack, an epidemiologist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.

The event will also include a buffet luncheon and round table discussions moderated by several underrepresented minority graduate students in the College of Public Health.

James said students can look forward to many networking opportunities and job advice at the symposium.

“I think that our speakers will be very inspirational to students and will let them know how to set themselves apart and make a name for themselves in this very competitive job market,” James said. “Students will leave having the insight on how to become a leader in their respective field.

Abigail Winternitz is College of Nursing and Public Health reporter, contact her at [email protected].