Kent State student devotes time to homework help

Volunteer Cynthia Alexander helps student Byron Ridenour-Wright with homework during a “Homework Help” session at Kent Social Services.

Francesca Demming

Darcy Wright-McNeil, a Kent State sophomore paralegal studies major, said she believes homework should be enjoyable for children. That’s why, three years ago, she founded Homework Help at Kent Social Services.

“It’s about bringing the kids in the community together,” Wright-McNeil said. “I want to make homework fun and I want to make it a necessity. I want to show them that knowledge and education is important. I want it to be in the midst of peers.”

Homework Help is held every Wednesday from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Kent Social Services for local children in the public school districts. Around 10 kids attend Homework Help each week and many of them attend Kent City Schools.

After the children arrive, they eat a dinner provided by the program before starting their homework. Volunteers then help the students with any homework assignments or projects they brought for the evening.

Melanie Wright, a volunteer at Homework Help and mother of Wright-McNeil, said that by providing a nutritious meal, the program is students stay focused. 

Wright said that she is happy to support the education system by assisting students with their homework.

“Children are struggling academically, and I think the educational system could use some help,” Wright said. “This is one of the reasons I support Homework Help. We who have time want to give time, and if we can help one student, we have achieved our goal.”

The program is not only important in helping local students accomplish their homework, but it also could give them hope for their future.

“Any memory that you can provide to the kids will be a tool later on in life,” Wright-McNeil said. “Giving back is everything to me. Providing hope is everything and that’s what I feel we are doing here. We are giving back to each other and that’s what will keep the community together.

Kent State students can volunteer at the Homework Help program on Wednesday evenings. If interested in volunteering, students can reach out to Wright-McNeil at [email protected].

Francesca Demming is the social services reporter, contact her at [email protected].