‘Blackout culture’ on college campuses

Julia Hazel

Across the nation there have been high reports of college students being admitted to hospitals due to alcohol poisoning, leaving some sick and some with more serious cases leading to death. Downtown Kent is considered the party scene for Kent State students. 

‘Blackout Culture’ on college campuses from KentWired.com on Vimeo.

Kent State senior student Lindsay Pizzurro shared a scary story of when her friend drank too much one night.

“I realized my friend wasn’t with me. Then I was looking for her, and no one really saw her so I tried to text and call and no one really answered. I was just hoping she was with some of our other friends,” Pizzurro said.

Fortunately, a few minutes into the search Pizzurro found her friend.

“I found out that she actually fell asleep on a parked bench downtown. She didn’t really realize it until an ambulance just happened to be going by at that time so the ambulance picked her up and took her to the hospital to see if she was okay, and luckily she was just fine,” Pizzurro said.

Alcohol poisoning has lead to deaths on college campuses across the United States.

“We typically get at least one if not more every weekend of an EMS call for alcohol poisoning,” Knoles said.

Officer Knoles also said fights, public urination and people passing out on the sidewalk are all dangers of over drinking. 

In order to help college students become more aware of how much they drink, Coordinator of Health and Promotions Scott Dotterer said there are workshops students can attend.

“Regarding the workshops, it’s an educational workshop where we will talk about what are the concerns students have,” Dotterer said.

If you or someone you know is in need of help with alcohol you can go to the student center on April 6, 2017 for an alcohol screening test. This test will show the different types of healthy drinking patterns you should abide by.

Julia Hazel is a broadcast reporter for TV2, contact her at [email protected].