School of Communication Studies spring colloquium series to start Friday

Molly Spillman

The Kent State School of Communication Studies will kick off its spring 2017 research colloquium series Friday, Feb. 3 at 4 p.m. in the Art Building. A discussion about being a caregiver to a cancer patient, and different issues accompanying the role will be the focus of the event.

“Identity and Caregiving: Negotiating What It Means To Be a Cancer Caregiver” will be presented by Nichole Egbert-Scheibelhoffer, a professor and graduate coordinator for the School of Communication Studies.

This session explores the subject of caregiver identity crises – a problem that will be on the rise over the next few years.

“20 percent of people in America are currently caring for a family member or friend,” Egbert said. “The percentage of caregivers will drastically rise during the next 10 years.”

Egbert expresses this issue will affect most American lives in some way moving forward.

“It’s everywhere. If you’re not dealing with it now, you will be later,” Egbert said.

The research presented in this session is part of a bigger project, which includes nine interviews with cancer caregivers. Egbert plans on presenting the study at a conference in Washington in April.

This talk aims to educate students and faculty on the importance of this problem and how to move forward with new research efforts.

Issues surrounding caregiving aren’t likely to be talked about on a college campus, which serves as motivation to discuss it on an open platform through the School of Communication Studies.

The next session, led by Gretchen Dworznik, an assistant professor in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, will be held on March 5, and will discuss the use of social media after the WDBJ on air shooting.

For more information, visit the School of Communications Studies website.

Molly Spillman is the CCI reporter, contact her at [email protected].