JMC to host next panel in conversation series

Molly Spillman

The School of Journalism and Mass Communication (JMC) continues its Journalism’s Way Forward conversation series with its second panel of the semester, addressing how to communicate in a divided government.

“Navigating the Noise: A JMC Conversation,” will be held Feb. 23 at 7 p.m. in room 340 of Franklin Hall, and is a follow-up to the school’s event last month, which covered media literacy, truth and credibility in journalism.

Susan Phalen, communications director for the House Committee on Homeland Security, will be speaking on the panel as well as Stephanie Smith, an assistant professor in JMC and former senior intelligence service executive with the CIA.

The two share years of experience working in Washington D.C., and will discuss their perspectives on how professionals in public service and communication roles can best serve their constituents.

This event is a part of the JMC Conversation Series that prompts students and faculty to discuss topics in media and ethics regularly throughout the year.

“In doing so, we can prepare future journalists to report accurately and ethically on topics of local, national and global concern,” Thor Wasbotten, director of JMC, said in a press release. “And we can equip future public relations and advertising professionals to advocate for solutions.”

Students, faculty, professionals and members of the community are encouraged to attend and bring questions to ask the panelists.

The school plans to host another follow up discussion March 16 about media representation, which will be co-sponsored by the Kent State PRSSA chapter and the JMC Student Voice Team.

For more information, visit JMC’s website and the event page on Facebook.