Students divided on watching the inauguration

Caelin Mills

As President-elect Donald Trump prepares to take the oath of office, Kent State students had a lot to say about why they are – or are not – planning to watch the soon-to-be president’s inauguration.

“I am not watching it because I am not interested in him becoming our president,” said junior fashion merchandising major Jayla Cable.

Other students shared the same conviction as well, such as sophomore public relations major Eden Kraus. After responding with a stern “no,” she added, “I don’t care to see him be inducted as president. I don’t support his political views or anything he represents.”

Sophomore English major Isabella Delatte expressed the same feeling.

“I really, really hate Trump,” Delatte said. “He’s racist, he’s been accused of sexual assault several times.”

Delatte also referenced Trump’s Jan. 11 press conference.

“I don’t really like a lot of what he’s doing with the media as far as kicking media out of press conferences and accusing media outlets of being biased,” she said. “I think that having free media is important to America and keeping the government in check.”

Anthony Erhardt, president of the Kent State College Democrats, added his insight on the political hostility.

“I think that our country is built on a successful and smooth transition of power,” Erhardt said. “It’s a big enough event and historic enough for you to get something out of it.”

Erhardt will be in Washington D.C. this weekend for the Women’s March Saturday. However, when asked if he’d be attending any inauguration festivities he said, “I personally won’t be attending because I worked on the Clinton campaign, so it’s a little too personal for me.”

Freshman general business major Ethan Petrilla is also planning to go to Washington D.C. this weekend.

“I do want to watch the inauguration because I’ve never seen one before and I think it will be an interesting one,” Petrilla said.

Petrilla said his intrigue stems from the low approval ratings of Trump he has seen.

“There are a lot of people that don’t like Trump,” he said. “The approval rating is the lowest it’s ever been, and I really want to hear what he has to say.”

Jacob Tabler, vice president of the Kent State College Republicans, will be in class while the inauguration takes place. However, he said he recognizes the importance of the event.

“I think it’s important, regardless of your political views, that you should keep in touch with the presidency and that you should stay informed politically,” Tabler said. “The purpose of that is to be able to criticize what needs to be criticized and commend what should be commended, so that we can move forward as a country with intellectual consistency.”

Caelin Mills is a student politics reporter, contact her at [email protected].