Kent State drops dual meet to Northern Illinois

Kent State junior Chance Driscoll fights against Ohio red-shirt junior Noah Forrider at the M.A.C. Center on Sunday, Jan. 22, 2017. Kent State out 2-43.

Samantha Ross

Friday night showed that the Kent State wrestling team is still struggling to win a dual meet, falling to Northern Illinois University 30-12.

Juniors Chance Driscoll and Jerald Spohn, as well as sophomore Devin Nye achieved the only victories on what turned out to be a disappointing night for the Flashes

Driscoll, a 141-pounder, beat Northern Illinois’ freshman Anthony Rubino 3-0.

“We’re still making too many mistakes,” coach Jim Andrassy said. “A lot of it’s being nervous … (and) young … I don’t want to use the word scared because I don’t think our guys are scared.

Andrassy said the Flashes “aren’t very confident right now, and when you have lack of confidence, you aren’t that good to begin with.”

A lack of confidence results in a lot of the bad things showing up in dual meets like Friday night’s, Andrassy said.

Junior 184–pounder Jerald Spohn, dominated against Northern Illinois’ redshirt sophomore Bryce Gorman. Spohn was up 8-1 in the first period, and took Gorman down in the second to receive a pin for the Flashes. 

“Basically it’s the same way I’ve always prepared,” Spohn said following the match. “I just kind of get in my own head and I have to convince myself that it doesn’t matter who I go out against. I do it for my team and my coaches and once I get myself in that state of mind it’s really easy to go out there.”

Nye lead the 285 weight class match against Northern Illinois’ redshirt freshman Caleb Gossett. No points were scored in the first period, but the match ended with a 5-1 victory for Kent State.

Prior to Friday, Northern Illinois had received a win at the M.A.C. Center since 2005. 

The Flashes take on Northern Iowa University  at 2 p.m. this Sunday at the M.A.C. Center.

Samantha Ross is a sports reporter, contact her at [email protected].