Kent State falls to Minnesota despite Carter’s career-high

Redshirt freshman guard Megan Carter drives to the basket against Fort Wayne Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2016 in the M.A.C. Center. The Flashes won 66-55.

Henry Palattella

Kent State women’s basketball non-conference schedule came to an end Thursday night, as the Flashes (6-6) fell 92-62 to the University of Minnesota (9-4).

The Flashes stumbled out of the gate against the Gophers, going 1-20 from the field in the first quarter, which led to them being in a 24-2 hole after the first period. Kent State picked its game up in the second quarter and outscored Minnesota 22-20, but the Gophers lead was too much for the Flashes to come back from.

The Flashes were led on offense by redshirt-freshman Megan Carter, who set a new career-high in scoring with 13 points. Carter was complimented by senior forward McKenna Stephens, who scored 12 points on 6-11 shooting.

As a team, Kent State was 22-79 (27 percent) from the field in the game. Senior Larissa Lurken  — who is from Minnesota — struggled from the field throughout the game, as she finished with 8 points on 2-15 shooting.

Minnesota was led on offense by sophomore guard Kenisha Bell, who finished with 20 points to go along with seven assists. Senior forward Whitney Tinjum chipped in with 18 points and two three-pointers.

The Flashes’ loss to the Gophers came on the heels of their Tuesday loss to the University of Iowa. However, overall the Flashes had a fruitful romp through the team’s non-conference schedule:

They opened the season with two straight wins over the University of Bradley and Eastern Kentucky University, but later lost to Robert Morris University and the University of Detroit Mercy to drop their record to 2-2.

The Flashes then played in the Gulf Coast Showcase, where they lost their first two games to No. 5 University of Baylor and Eastern Kentucky, before beating Florida Gulf Coast University in their final game of the tournament.

Kent State would go on to win its next three games after the tournament, securing victories over Fort Wayne, Wright State University, and Youngstown State University before falling to the University of Iowa and the University of Minnesota. 

Kent State opens conference play when the Flashes take on Central Michigan University in the M.A.C. Center on Dec. 31. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m.

Henry Palattella is the sports editor, contact him at [email protected]