National study reports Ohio 8th in the nation, Kent State 3rd in the state for most international students

1114 International Students

Kent State celebrates large International Student population from KentWired.com on Vimeo.

Ohio now has the 8th highest amount of international students in the country, according to the annual “Open Doors” report from the Institute of International Education.

Kent State, at 3,397 international students, is third in the state, trailing the University of Cincinnati (at 3,932) and the Ohio State University (at 7,117 – also 18th highest throughout the country).

Mike Taylor, the marketing and communications specialist at the office of Global Education, estimates that 1 of every 10 students on campus is international.

“We see China, India and the Middle East as the centers of origin for our international students,” said Taylor. He notes that many students from these regions have “pre-built communities” at Kent State, where, in addition to a number of offices and organizations, they are able to find support and tools to help them in assimilating to Kent State.

Taylor said he believes that Kent State’s (and Northeast Ohio’s) general affordability coupled with a “welcoming, inclusive” atmosphere draws students from around the world to campus.

At Kent State, international students are charged the out-of-state rate. Some, like Saudis, gain financial aid from their home government while others are completely funded by their parents who, according to Taylor, “see America as a place to get a good, solid and affordable education.”

The report also notes that 2015 was the first year the number of international students in the United States broke 1 million, a 7.1% increase from 2014. Taylor sees this as part of a larger phenomenon. 

“We now see this worldwide belief that a student needs international experience in order to succeed – not only international students coming here, but our [American] students going out into the world” said Taylor.