Students learn about financial aid amongst carnival games

Junior communication studies major Nicholas Peters, senior aeronautics major Dylan Oliver, junior biology major Olivia Mullen, and senior biology major Troy Kotsch show their balloon sculptures at the Kent State Financial Aid Fair on Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2016.

Nicholas Adkins

Popcorn was popping and balloons animals were made for students at the third annual Financial Aid Information Fair at the Kent State Student Center on Tuesday.

Participating students were given the opportunity to learn about financial wellness while taking part in carnival-themed games, designed around different aspects of student finance. There was also a “money machine,” where students attempted to grab tickets that could be entered to win donated prizes, such as a $100 gift card for textbooks.

“The purpose of the Financial Aid Fair is to help inform students about the financial aid process for the 2017-2018 academic year, and to inform them about scholarship opportunities that are available,” said Student Financial Aid Associate Director Sylvia Bustard.

“I came here in hopes of potential information on student teaching in other countries,” said Jared Shoup, junior integrated social studies major. “I feel like I’ve gotten a lot of really solid information and plenty of reading materials to help me out.”

Shoup said he was able to have a long and informative conversation with Julie Wilcox, academic recruiter and retention director from the College of Education, Health and Human Services.

“We are here to make sure our students are aware of the specific scholarships available to them,” Wilcox said at the fair, referring to students with EHHS majors.

Wilcox pointed out that every student should seek out financial aid representatives at their specific schools to get a better idea of the scholarships available to them. She said some scholarships are only offered at the school’s dean’s discretion. Other representatives at the fair included Tiffany Mullen with PNC bank. Mullen explained the benefits that PNC offers Kent State students, such as checking accounts with zero fees for six years.

“The response has been very positive and students have been very receptive to learning more about the financial aid process and their personal finances,” Bustard said. “The Financial Aid Office is committed to providing the information students need to help them successfully finance their education at Kent State University.”

Nicholas Adkins is the student finance and jobs reporter. Contact him at [email protected].