Career Fair moves to Field House to host more employers

Nicholas Adkins

For many students, finding an internship is a requirement to graduate, and for a lot of seniors, finding a job after graduation is the first step into their careers.

Kent State’s Fall Internship, Co-op and Career Fair will be taking place from noon to 4 p.m. Friday at the Field House.

Students will have a chance to speak to their choice of 166 potential employers at the career fair.

“We want to provide students and alumni the opportunity to learn about the relevant employers in their field,” said Craig Wilkinson, recruiting coordinator for Career Services. “We hope that they will take this important step toward securing a full-time, co-op or internship opportunity.”

The types of employers attending range from retailers, manufacturers and transportation services to software services, special education services and government agencies All majors and alumni are welcome to attend and no registration is required.

“We have made great efforts to pull employers in from several different industries, so as to diversify the types of opportunities offered,” Wilkinson said. “The hope is that any student or alumni, regardless of major or industry, will have an interest in checking out the fair.”

It is important to remember that the fair will be taking place at the Field House rather than the Student Center that has typically housed it in the past.

“The increased attendance, from both candidates and employers, has led us to move the event to the Kent State Field House, which has increased our capacity to 167 employers,” Wilkinson said.

In order to help students land the job they want, Career Exploration and Development offers online videos with career advice from Kent State alumni.

Wilkinson said some of the things that students should remember when attending the fair are several copies of resumes, professional dress and preparation.

“We can offer resume critiques, assistance in researching the employers that will be in attendance, and advice for following up with employers after the fair,” Wilkinson said.

Nicholas Adkins is the student finance and jobs reporter, contact him at [email protected].