Nursing students network at career fair

Ashleigh Metzinger

Kent State nursing students met with recruiters from local hospitals and other health professionals on Monday to learn about available career opportunities. The Nursing Job & Career Fair took place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the College of Nursing’s Henderson Hall.

According to Kent State’s nursing Catalog, registered nursing careers are the “largest healthcare occupation,” holding “2.7 million jobs in 2010.” Kent State has one of the “largest and most comprehensive nursing programs in the country,” according to Kent’s website.

“Kent State University College of Nursing is helping to meet the demand for nurses in Ohio and across the nation. Career fairs are an excellent way to connect employers and future employees — all in one place,” said Barbara Broome, dean of the College of Nursing. “Career fairs offer an opportunity to learn more about career opportunities in the field and to ask questions relevant to selecting a future place of employment.”

Students had the opportunity to meet with recruiters from top health organizations to discuss potential jobs after graduation, as well as had the chance to talk about gaining nursing experience while they are still in school.

“Nursing is such a broad field that it’s so important to network and see what’s out there,” junior nursing major Amy Kenyon said. “There were recruiters from the Navy to recruiters for hospice care and everything in between. With that, it’s important to talk to the recruiters and establish relationships so down the road — when you’re applying for jobs — you have contacts and references you can fall back on.”

Career Services made recommendations for students attending the fair. Attendees were encouraged to bring “10 copies of their resume, professional references and note-taking materials.”

Ashleigh Metzinger is the health reporter, contact her at [email protected].