(Orientation) Opinion: Advice to consider as a freshman

Nicholas Hunter

Two years ago, I entered into the biggest, most overwhelming time in my life when I started college. It has produced some of the best times of my life up to this point, but there are a number of things that—if I had known them from the start—would have made my first year go by much more smoothly.

Over time I have figured some things out that have helped me get to where I am today.

Your RA is a goldmine of helpful advice and information. They are more than just a boss or babysitter; they are readily available mentors and friends.

Any problems you find yourself having, whether it be daily life, school struggles or issues adjusting to campus life, they are equipped to give advice with more nuance than can be found in any handbook. They have been where you are now, they remember those feelings and they will be happy to help.

One of the unsung heroes of my college career has been the KSUMobile app. On it, you can find your class schedule, Flashline ID, meal plan and Flashcash balances, and a variety of academic and campus information.

Among these helpful features is the Dining tab, giving you hours, menus and locations for campus dining options at your fingertips.

The on-campus dining selection is something to behold.

At the Student Center you can find a variety of quick-service and sit-down options, including Subway, Auntie Anne’s Pretzels, and Quaker Steak and Lube.

At the Rotunda in Tri-Towers, you will find Rosie’s—a 24-hour market and diner that offers a full menu all day and night. The Eastway Center also offers a market and café.

Once you go off-campus, you will find the options only expand.

Opposite campus side of Terrace Drive, there are places such as Chipotle and Five Guys, as well as a number of sit-down establishments further downtown, still within walking distance. Aside from great food, downtown Kent has a lot to offer.

One of the best places to check out is Acorn Alley, where you can find a number of independent shops to explore, a barber shop, dry cleaners and, of course, a prominent black squirrel statue.

Once it’s time to get to work, tutoring is one of the most valuable resources available. Math and science courses tend to cause the most trouble for students, so drop-in, scheduled and online tutoring is available for all students in need.

Whether you need help nailing down the basics or can’t quite grasp a specific concept, tutoring can make a world of difference in your academic performance.

While tutoring is an extremely helpful resource, nobody can offer help quite like the professors themselves. Every professor has office hours so they can be there for students who need help. They know their courses better than anyone else, and can offer you exclusive advice that could turn your semester around. No matter how difficult their courses are, they do not want you to fail, so they will be more than happy to offer help and advice.

Over the course of the next year, you will be making constant discoveries, possibly ranging from how to do laundry to what career you want. While you go on making these discoveries, make the most of this advice.