Dean receives honor among nursing community

Barbara Broome, dean of Kent State’s College of Nursing.

Alex Delaney-Gesing

When Barbara Broome first entered the healthcare field, she had only one desire: to make a difference in the lives of others.

“Nursing permits me to share my skills with others during times of joy, stress or life transitions,” Broome said.

Enrolling in the nursing program at Kent State’s Trumbull Campus in the early ‘80s enabled her to do just that.

“I had heard about Kent (State’s) program and how the nurses were knowledgeable, and I wanted to make sure I received the best education possible,” she said. “The faculty challenged me and that motivated me to do my best.”

With a young family back at home, the regional campus location allowed Broome to balance school and family life while still progressing toward her nursing degree.

She found her passion for the academics and nursing by the time she had earned both her bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing from Kent State.

“I loved nursing and teaching, so it was a natural fit for me to begin teaching students,” Broome said. “There is nothing better than watching your students learn and later seeing them working and knowing you had something to do with that.”

Since her graduation from Kent State, Broome has achieved a number of accomplishments in the nursing field of academics: earning her Ph.D from the University of Pittsburgh, serving in a number of administrative positions in the nursing program at the University of South Alabama, conducting research in areas such as mental health, women’s health, adult health, minority issues and aging issues, authoring various chapters and journal articles in scholarly publications, and obtaining millions of dollars in funding for mental health education, elderly health screening and continence care.

After returning to the Kent State community in 2014, Broome has served as dean of the university’s College of Nursing. Coming back to the place that played a major role in her academic life brought her academic career to full circle.

This past month, she received the honor of being named one of northeast Ohio’s best healthcare practitioners in the healthcare field by the Greater Cleveland Nurses Association (GCNA) through Cleveland Magazine, according to a June 16 Kent State news release.

As part of the magazine’s annual “Faces of Care” feature, GNCA “selects a theme that celebrates nurses and asks its members to suggest individuals who embody the theme.”

This year’s theme — “The Path to Nursing”— is meant to serve as inspiration for those both working and entering the nursing community.

For Broome, it gave her an opportunity to share the passion and dedication she has for the profession with those with similar aspirations.

“My advice to nurses considering going into academia is to be passionate,” Broome said. “If you love teaching, demonstrate your love and passion by helping students succeed.”

Alex Delaney-Gesing is an administration reporter, contact her at [email protected]