Therapy dogs to return during finals week

Andrew Keiper

The Kent State University library will host stress dog therapy from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Monday and Tuesday, May 9 and 10 , in the lobby on the first floor to offer some relaxation to students during finals week.

“The students love the dogs and ask about them all year round,” said Jasmine Jefferson, an administrator with the University Libraries. “The lobby is usually packed when the dogs are here.”

Jefferson said the therapy dogs have been coming during finals week for at least five or six years. Last year, Jefferson said that a few hundred students came through on both days and she’s expecting similar numbers this year.

“All the dogs are trained for these situations, so there are really no precautions that need to be taken,”  Jefferson saif. “Of course, the safety of the students and dogs are a priority, so it’s important to take care when petting the dogs as well as being aware of one’s surroundings as the area does tend to get crowded.”

Jefferson said that all dogs in the program are hypoallergenic, so the event is accessible to students with allergies.

“The event is held because we care about our students and know how stressful finals can be,” Jefferson said. “We wanted to give them an opportunity to relax and take a break and show them that we appreciate how hard they are working.”

Andrew Keiper is the graduate studies reporter for The Kent Stater, contact him at [email protected].