Kent State Scientista chapter to host Earth Day events

Ariel Reid

This week, Kent State’s Scientista chapter will host various events in honor of Earth Day. These will include panels, crafts and a scavenger hunt.

On Monday, the Scientistas will offer a craft day in room 22 of Cunningham Hall from 4-5:30 p.m. Attendees will be able to decorate cupcakes and make bird feeders.

Tuesday’s event will include a panel called “Climate Change Disaster,” set to be held from 5-7:30 p.m. in room 216 of the Student Center.

There will be a second climate change panel from 5:30-7:30 p.m. on Thursday in room 217 of Bowman Hall. According to the official flyer, a focus will be placed on how students can combat climate change. Students will also have a chance to plant pots.

Jaynell Nicholson,president of Kent State Scientista, said that Thursday’s event will be the one she recommends interested students to attend

“I would suggest Plants and Panels on Thursday,” Nicholson said. “(It’s a good way to) get some information on what we can personally do to help the environment.”

The week culminates on Friday—Earth Day—where the Scientistas will put on a scavenger hunt.

In order to participate, students must register for the event by sending an email to [email protected].

Nicholson said that the group is hoping to have more than just women and science, technology, engineering and math majors (STEM) at these events. All students are welcome to attend, she said.

“This is our first year and we hope to collaborate with other organizations in the future for events like this,” Nicholson said.

For anyone who would like to be a part of the board for the events, Nicholson said, they can ask for an officer application.

For more event information, Nicholson can be reached at [email protected].

Ariel Reid is the sciences reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected]