Kent State beats Akron in annual RecycleMania competition

Photo courtesy of Twitter (@ksuhousin).

Photo courtesy of Twitter (@ksuhousin).

Charleah Trombitas

Kent State beat the University of Akron in this year’s RecycleMania, retaining possession of the Braggin’ Wheel for the fifth year in a row. 

RecycleMania is an annual, eight-week national competition held from the beginning of February to the beginning of April.

This year, Kent State ranked 77 out of 269 in the competition, with 15.22 pounds per person on campus diverted from the landfill, according to Melanie Knowles, Kent State’s manager of sustainability. In comparison, the Akron ranked 214 out of 269, with 4.95 pounds per person diverted from the landfill.

Engleman Hall won the on-campus housing competition by recycling the most, with Lake/Olson Hall coming in second. Engleman will receive $200 for programming and Lake/Olson Hall will receive a tree planting ceremony in front of the hall.

Chris Tankersley, assistant director of Residential Services, said he was pleased with the level of participation from students and staff during RecycleMania this year.

“Shred-Mania drew a lot of participation and also our ‘Get Caught Green-Handed’ event went very well,” he said. “The students sent us pictures of them holding recycled cups and mugs.”

Charleah Trombitas is an activities reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].