Student Center to hold Politically Speaking series discussion

Jailyn Menefee

The Kent Student Center Ballroom will be holding a Politically Speaking series open discussion at 5:30 p.m. on Monday, April 25 to discuss the importance of polling in a presidential election.

The event will consist of three recognized professors from Kent State and the University of Akron, as the two universities are collaborating to hold the open discussion. 

Speakers include Ryan Claassen, an associate professor for the political science department, and Richard Serpe, the chair and professor of the sociology department, from Kent State. Also speaking is John Green, the director of applied politics at the University of Akron.

“The whole idea is to capitalize on the excitement of the election,” said the executive director for Government and Community Relations Nicholas Gattozzi.

Along with discussing the importance of polling in elections, the event will also touch on how voters can think critically when it comes to voting results.

“Go beyond the 30-second commercials and the 24-hour news cycle,” Gattozzi said.

Gattozzi said he hopes the event will educate young voters and students on both Akron and Kent State campuses.

Jailyn Menefee is the sciences reporter for The Kent Stater, contact her at [email protected].