Opinion: Students should be more active in voting

Samantha Karam is a sophomore journalism major. Contact her at [email protected].

Samantha Karam

This past Tuesday was the day Ohioans submitted their votes for the primary election. After I covered the polls for the Kent Stater’s photo team, I headed to class and, as expected, my fellow students were talking about voting. Only, the conversation I witnessed was disappointing.

One girl asked her friends if they planned on voting and every one of them said no. One student said he just never got around to registering. That’s when the girl got upset. She proved to be very passionate about voting, which I respect.

Then another student said one vote wouldn’t really matter so that’s why she didn’t even bother.

I was speaking with another student about this and he said that we are the most educated, yet most inactive generation. He’s absolutely right. We have a plethora of tools and knowledge at our fingertips, yet so many millennials are doing nothing to affect our nation’s politics.

I used to not care about voting, too. Then I realized I need to take part in how my country changes because, the older I get, the more politics will affect me. I educated myself so that I’m neither politically ignorant nor inactive anymore. This enlightenment of sorts has been so empowering. It saddens me that more people my age don’t feel this way.

Sure, I think a lot of politicians make empty promises and the candidates this year are historically comical, but that doesn’t mean I should sit by and do nothing as these politicians shape my future.

Though I hate all the drama associated with politics, I believe every vote matters. Each voter has the opportunity to make a difference. So why are so many millennials standing to the side, complaining about Trump’s racism, Hilary’s corruption and Bernie’s socialism when they should be fighting it the only way they can?

You can’t fight ballots with complaints—so if you don’t like a candidate, vote against them. Your vote can make all the difference because it’s very possible that this election could come down to a handful of votes.

As Americans, we have the right to choose who leads us. That’s a power all of us should act on. You don’t need to be a political science major to do so.

Samantha Karam is a columnist for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].