Annual Rock the Runway fashion show returns this weekend

Designer Keama Garrett makes last minute adjustments to her model Sarah Grages before the Rock The Runway Fashion Show on Saturday March 7, 2015. The name of this collection was “Jama”.

Ile-Ife Okantah

Kent Student Center (KSC) Programming will host the twelfth annual Rock the Runway Fashion Show at 8 p.m. on Saturday, in the Kent Student Center Ballroom.

Rock the Runway is a themed competition that brings together music and fashion in a fresh and interactive way. Any Kent State student is eligible to participate, not just fashion majors. Each participant is required to submit three cohesive looks that follow the theme. This year’s theme is The Jacksons.

According to KSC’s website, “Fashion is merely the catalyst to create a show that is fun and entertaining, while allowing Kent State students of all different majors an opportunity to showcase their talents.”

Four judges, one including Michael Jackson’s costume designer of 25 years, Michael Bush, will chose a first place winner based on theme interpretation and cohesiveness.  The winner of the show will have half of their fall 2016 tuition paid for.

The other three judges include, Kent State alum Mary Beth Wilkins, Michael Jackson impersonator MJX and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame fundraising manager Anne Siegel.

The audience will also be able to choose their favorite designer through text votes. The audience winner will receive a $500 gift card to Mood Fabrics in New York City.

Rebecca Kapler, the assistant director for the Center for Student Involvement, says that Rock the Runway is a great way to engage students of all majors who are interested in fashion.

“The show is really fun and interactive for the audience and for all the students involved,” said Kapler. “I really can’t wait to see all of the outfits, we’ve only seen the beginning sketches, so dress rehearsal will be the first time I see the finished products.”

Denzel Washington, a senior theatre studies student and president of EPIC, will host the event alongside Paul Miller of Legendary 44 Apparel.

Also, Kent State’s dance groups, the Golden Reflections and the Barefeet Dance Tribe will provide entertainment at the show.

For more information visit their website, https://www.kent.edu/kscprogramming/rock-runway

Ile-Ife Okantah is a fashion reporter for The Kent Stater, contact her at [email protected]