USG Profile: Matthew Chernesky

Name: Matthew Chernesky

Position you’re running for: Executive Director

Year and major: junior, political science

Hometown: Orwell, OH

What makes you a representative of the student body?

Like the vast majority of Kent State students, I’m not just focusing on academics, but also working my way through college and giving back to the community. I know the struggle of paying for textbooks and saving to pay off student loans. I will continue to listen to the concerns of students from all backgrounds who still face barriers in succeeding at Kent State.

What will be your top priority if elected?

To ensure accountability and transparency within our student government. We must also work to improve our avenues of communication with our peers, the administration and the local community. 

What do you think can be improved on with USG and the campus in general?

For us to all realize that we are all agents of change. No matter who you are, I want to foster an environment where everyone understands that they have a capacity to make a difference. We are a university of historic activism and are all afforded an opportunity to better the lives of those around us. 

How will USG handle the growing prominence of diversity-related issues on campus?

I have been a tireless advocate for diversity at Kent State. With some passionate staff, I spearheaded the first student-led, university-wide diversity council. I was appointed by the Kent City Council to the Fair Housing Board to ensure that those within the city who are renting or buying property do not experience discrimination. One of the key factors I have learned in fostering diversity is communication, so I would ensure that USG reaches out to our multicultural and international students and groups on campus to determine what areas of collaboration exist, and to assess the strong role that we play as a diverse institution.