READY FOR WEB: Christian groups at Kent State celebrate National Collegiate Prayer Day

Keri Richmond

On Thursday, Christian organizations at Kent State joined in with universities and colleges across the nation to pray for campuses.

“The collegiate day of prayer is on the fourth Thursday of February every year,” said Bob Simon, a staff member of Kent State’s China Outreach Ministries. “It (originally) started with a group of (collegiates) in the 1800s.”

Simon has hosted the Collegiate Day of Prayer at Kent State for the past four years. A table was set up in the Student Center on Thursday where students and staff could drop off their prayer requests.

“We’ll be praying for the campus, the (university) president, staff, and students that we have all known,” Simon said. “Even Warren’s adviser came by and put some things in for (the president).”

Also included on the agenda for the night was a prayer for international students, fraternities and sororities, athletes and the LGBTQ community.

“I’m interested in prayer for LGBTQ because my views might differ from many people,” said James Mundy, a junior nursing major. “My view is that it’s okay.”

All campus ministries and Christian organizations were invited. Some of those in attendance included the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, H20 and Cru.

The event began with praise and worship followed by students and campus ministry staff breaking into small groups to pray for specific areas of people on campus.

“I love praying with people. I love the atmosphere of everyone being in a room and everyone focusing on God,” said Matt Grissom, a senior integrated mathematics major and member of Cru.

The Collegiate Day of Prayer closed the night by inviting anyone to come forward for a time of personal prayer for healing.

“That’s typically when the athletes come forward,” Simon said.

“I’m not a prayer warrior,” said Ted Schumacher, campus minister of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. “But I know how to pray for people.”

According to the Collegiate Day of Prayer’s website, 2,090 campus ministries, churches, and individuals signed up to pray from 1,040 cities, 50 states, and 11 countries.

“My vision was that there would be thousands of people that will be praying on our campus … I’ve been praying for that for over five years,” Simon said.

Keri Richmond is an activities reporter. Contact her at [email protected] .

Photo courtesy of the National Collegiate Day of Prayer website.